gnu-music-discuss

Re: two slur beginning on a same note

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: two slur beginning on a same note
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:39:23 +0100

> Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > produced the following kind of result
> >
> >        |__________________|
> > |______________|
> >
> > instead of the desired
> >
> >        |_______|
> > |_________________________|
> >
> > I consider this a serious bug!
>
> LilyPond refuses to start more than one slur at the same note, she
> should also refuse to start a slur if another one is still open.  That
> would be better than the first picture above.  Although you could
> consider the above a bug, neither example makes any sense to me (I can
> play legato only once), the bigger slur can only be a phrasing mark.

OK! However, I'm certain that sooner or later you'll find some
composer who has used three or more simultaneous ``slurs''
with some specific meaning. Therefore, I'd prefer a generic
solution - namely allowing for an arbitrary number of nested
slurs - than a specialized one with only two hard-coded levels
available.
Also, at least for us who mostly use Lilypond for new editions
of old music manuscripts, it's not always obvious if a curved bow
is a slur or a phrasing mark, so it's not obvious if we should
use () or \( \) in the Lilypond code (this is more a philosophical
problem, though, as long as both are typeset the same way).

      /Mats