Re: police report against the petition mob

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: police report against the petition mob
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 18:26:44 -0500

Daniel Pocock wrote:
On 29/03/2021 12:59, Daniel Pocock wrote:
On 29/03/2021 02:49, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
Daniel Pocock wrote:
<rms@gnu.org>: host eggs.gnu.org[209.51.188.92] said: 550 bad domain -
email
    sysadmin@fsf.org for details (in reply to RCPT TO command)

<gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org>: host eggs.gnu.org[209.51.188.92] said: 550
bad
    domain - email sysadmin@fsf.org for details (in reply to RCPT TO
command)
Those messages say "bad domain" ... either someone has very specifically
rigged the mail server to specifically reject your email with a bogus
error, or there was a very unfortunately timed configuration error that
caused a GNU MX to be unaware that gnu.org exists.  Considering that the
former would require specially modified code, while the latter could be
the result of an innocent typo in a configuration file, I would suspect
the latter to be more likely.

Evidence that this only affected you would, of course, change that
view.  Did sysadmin@fsf.org reply when asked about this?
If it is deliberate, I suspected it might be a personal insult against
my name

We see these people being so harsh on RMS but then they play these games
with other people

It first started on Sunday.  As a developer and a volunteer, If I choose
to volunteer some of my Sunday to support Free Software, I don't see why
I should lose that time engaging with people who use insults and coercion.

[...]
More observations:

- your reply didn't appear in the list archives, or it was removed
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/2021-03/threads.html

It is worth noting that *nothing* after March 28 appears in that archive; this is consistent with a general failure of the FSF email system.

- sysadmin@fsf.org is also bouncing so we just have to CC for now:

<sysadmin@fsf.org>: host mail.fsf.org[2001:470:142::13] said: 550 bad
domain -
    email sysadmin@fsf.org for details (in reply to RCPT TO command)

This is also consistent with a general failure of the FSF MX node. (I would not be surprised at all if eggs.gnu.org and mail.fsf.org are the same machine.)

A control message sent to the GNU bug tracker did go through, but debbugs.gnu.org is its own MX. All that said, other mailing list archives do seem to have been collecting messages; we shall see if this message appears in the archive.

-- Jacob