Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 12:24:25 +0200

On 25.02.2020 1:55, Samuel Thibault wrote:

That is a problem. But one that wouldn't be solved simply by the
leadership's say-so. GNU is usually all volunteers, and if existing
developers don't accept the new project management platform, they won't use
it.

As I mentioned in another mail, I am not talking about the software
running the platform, but the community around the platform. It's the
contact they get from the community living on a given platform, which
makes the welcoming atmosphere. And there leadership does matter.

Okay then. I'll rephrase what I said in another email as well.

As a part of the community, I think you can work on that welcoming atmosphere without pushing RMS out, or asking for his blessing (which is surely already implicitly given, with Kind Communication Guidelines out there). And, to repeat myself, having the "crown" on your head is unlikely to make this process particularly easier.

If we declare that all of GNU should share a certain set of values, and
especially that maintainers must share the free software values, whatever it
really means in practice, *that* sounds exclusionary already.

Did you really read what was actually written on
https://wiki.gnu.tools/gnu:social-contract ?
It does not talk about the values that contributors hold for themselves,
it talks about the values put in the software of the GNU project:

“
The GNU Project provides software that guarantees to all users the Four
Essential Freedoms, without compromise:
”

etc. It does not talk about exclusively using free software etc.

*shrug* Again, you have put out a document that reiterates things that should already be so. So that leaves (apparently not only myself) guessing what is it for.

Could you clarify, then, what that message might have been about: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/2020-02/msg00224.html

?

Specifically, the first paragraph. What free software values the maintainers do not currently agree to uphold, but will if they adhere to the Social Contract?

Maybe you guys should have a talk between yourselves and figure out whether everyone shares the same understanding and vision for it.