Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 01:12:41 +0200

On 23.02.2020 0:49, Alexandre François Garreau wrote:
But what will rather happen is that the new generation will just rewrite
another program, possibly without caring about making it free software.
So what? it still can be run.  If people value freedom, they should prefer
the free one, to which they could contribute and get live again, if they
need to.  But prefering the non-free one is a problem of moral philosophy,
of personal misjugment to prefer not to be free…

One of the primary goals of the FSF is the promotion of Free Software and the awareness of it, including and especially among the new generations or users and developers.

There is already non-free software.  So the solution is not anything
technical, it is not something positive.  We don’t have to “do something
more” to “bring people to write more free softwares”.  We have to make
non-free software*disappear*.  Stop being written.  Stop to be used.
Until the point where, with time, all proprietary software gets lost,
rewritten, useless, unrunnable, or reverse-engineered.

That's simply a pipe dream. Let's not present any pipe dreams as the end goal of our movement, or else we won't be able to set our priorities straight.