Re: duplicated messages and NYLXS cross-posting

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: duplicated messages and NYLXS cross-posting
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 13:44:57 +0000

On 16/02/2020 12:59, Ruben Safir wrote:
> It is pretty simple.  Stop trying to remove the emotional content
> of my emails in face of this broad injustice to RMS and GNU

This is a legitimate and important point

Any serious course on communication teaches that logos, ethos and pathos
go together.

One of the things people try to do with Codes of Conduct is to undermine
that, reducing the communication to logos alone.  In other words, people
can do work for free in their communities but nobody can offer an
alternative leadership vision.

> Stop the soft talking Nazi's from pushing their political agenda to
> destroy GNU
>
> and Stop Censuring me.
>
> After 30 years of this crap on mailing lists, this is the breaking
> point.  I am sick of these talk kindly and be nice rules  when people
> are straight out trying to .....

This is an accurate assessment of the situation.

Nonetheless, I don't feel your solution is the only option and I feel
you can make more impact without certain words.

As for a technical solution, please look at how I put the Libre back
into Libreplanet:

Running a forked list for discussion@lists.fsfe.org was important
because I see no value in encouraging new people to join FSFE.  The
constitution of the organization is rigged and they have no elections
any more.  They are Google puppets.

But for FSF/LibrePlanet and GNU, the situation is a little bit
different.  By simulating List-Id headers, you avoid the inconvenience
of duplicate messages.  Less people will be annoyed and they focus on
contents of your message rather than the duplication of messages.

Look at what happened in FSFE, here is how I tell the story without foul
language, do you feel it remains easy to read and gets the point across?

a) May 2017: an independent candidate elected, not the person management
wanted

b) December 2017: to dilute the vote of people elected by the community,
the FSFE President appoints his friend Florian Snow and some of his
employees to have a vote in the GA/board too

c) May 2018: special general meeting changes constitution.  Only 9
people at the meeting, 5 staff.  It is done in Berlin office while the
community representative is at an event in Kosovo.

d) later 2018: FSFE President censors emails and blog of the
representative elected by the community

e) FSFE President engages in conspiracy with Debian and Mozilla to
further censor blog posts of last community representative, removing the
representative from FSFE and Debian keyring on the same day

They offered the community an election, they didn't get a result they
liked so they made a conspiracy.  This level of cheating is clearly
criminal.

Regards,

Daniel