Re: GNU Social Contract version 1.0

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: GNU Social Contract version 1.0
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 19:25:56 +0100

Hello Andreas (R.),

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 02:14:32PM +0100, Andreas R. wrote:
> Could you clarify what this cut-off date of February the 24th means? What
> happens afterwards?

afterwards we know who endorses and who does not :-)

> Since there is no reason for this bloc not to exist, even within
> the GNU project, there should be no reason for any sort of cut-off date.
> In fact, keeping endorsement open-ended might be exactly the
> legitimate tool for influencing governance, since maintainers
> within the block should get, by their own projections, more contributors
> and make development easier. This should logically lead to a situation
> where over time the amount of maintainers and contributors inside the bloc
> would grow up to a point where where any leadership question becomes moot.

I agree with your analysis that trying to form a stronger GNU community
should (and probaby will) be an open-ended process, requiring ongoing efforts
with all interested people. And maybe people who are not interested in the
GNU Social Contract now might change their mind later and should get an
opportunity to join. At the same time, we wanted to have a clearly defined
process with a given timeline, so that at its end we know where we stand,
and who "we" are at this point in time. The idea is not to bug maintainers
indefinitely about endorsement, but to inform them about the initiative and
to give them a reasonable time frame to make up their mind for the time being.

Andreas (E.)