Re: suspending FSF contributor agreements with immediate effect

From: Nathan Sidwell
Subject: Re: suspending FSF contributor agreements with immediate effect
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 14:23:23 -0500

On 1/14/20 7:37 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

On 15/01/2020 01:19, Joel Sherrill wrote:

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 5:48 PM Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro
<mailto:daniel@pocock.pro>> wrote:

     On 15/01/2020 00:42, Joel Sherrill wrote:
     > This will create a lot of paperwork which puts GNU project
     maintainers in a
     > very bad position. In practice, ....
     this is the sad reality of an organization where volunteers have not
     been registered as equal members with equal votes in the corporate
     entity, FSF, Inc

You are missing the point entirely. This is not about representation or
voting,
this is about the burden of daily activities.

I agree those issues are important and burdensome for the project
maintainers.

Nonetheless, contributors have a right to decide who owns the
intellectual property.

*contributors* have already made that decision -- they filed the paperwork and *continue to* contribute. It would be irresponsible for someone with an assignment, to revoke that assignment /and/ continue contributing patches.

You could decide you no longer wished to contribute to an FSF project, and no longer submit patches to it (in addition to any explicit public/private message you might send).

AFAICT there is no example of adding a revocation to the copyright.list file. I never noticed one. I noticed that my individual assignment, including an employer assignment, never had a note later when I changed employers and ended up covered by the employer's blanket assignment. The closest it gets are assignments that are explicitly time-limited from the get go -- they have a termination date when assigned.

Now, that's not to suggest your idea is inherently bad. The thought had occurred to me too -- stop contributing. But I decided things would have to be really dire to do that.

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell