Re: A summary of some open discussions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A summary of some open discussions
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 18:27:31 +0200

> From: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh@gotplt.org>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 12:38:13 +0530
>
> On 14/01/20 6:50 am, nylxs wrote:
> > So you guys should get together an create your own organization
> >

> The last time a major fork happened in the GNU world was with egcs.  A
> little reading will give an indication of how that ended.

OTOH, there was also the XEmacs fork, which started almost in the same
time frame, and which ended very differently.  If someone is going to
read on the egcs affair, I suggest reading on XEmacs as well.

My take from this is twofold:

  . forks are a terrible waste of our scarce resources
  . people should try harder to work with those with whom they
    disagree, and should emphasize the common instead of the
    disagreements