Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 18:58:04 +0100

Alfred M. Szmidt, le mar. 05 nov. 2019 12:46:42 -0500, a ecrit:
> > I guess that leads to a new sub-task: defining the procedure to
> > become a “member� of the project.
>
> You send a patch, you contribute documentation, you work on Savannah,
> you don't sign or agree to anything to become a member of the GNU
> project.

That wholy depends on what you call a "member". I indeed don't consider
that you'd have to sign or agree on anything (except copyright things)
to be able to send patches, contribute documentations, work on
Savannah, etc.  But you'd have to agree on the GNU goals if you are
to take responsibilities in the GNU project, such as being maintainer
of a package (as in: responsible for the package, and not only a
contributor).

Again, sorry for playing the Debian guy, but that's what happens there.
Debian has so many contributors or people who even have commit rights
in repositories etc. without having to sign anything. But at some point
somebody takes the responsibility of uploading the package, and that's
where the DD status is there to assert that the person doing that agrees
on the goal of Debian, to make sure that what is being uploaded does
really respect it.

Samuel