NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 11 July 2012 NYCBUG: Matthew Story on tmux

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 11 July 2012 NYCBUG: Matthew Story on tmux
Date: 11 Jul 2012 04:47:00 -0400

  what="official NYC*BUG announcement"
  edits="">

 From: NYC*BUG Announcements <announce@lists.nycbug.org>
 Subject: [announce] NYC*BUG Wednesday

 We postponed the meeting for a week.  So the meeting is this Wednesday.

 2012-07-11 @ 18:45 - Location: suspenders
 http://www.nycbug.org/?action=locations#suspenders

 Bring a Box, Rock Your tmux(1), Matthew Story

 A good terminal multiplexer is a vital part of the UNIX Developer and
 Systems Engineer toolkit. For the better part of a decade, I installed
 GNU screen(1) on each and everyone of my machines, dealing with the lack
 of useful features, over-abundance of useless features, complex
 configuration mini-language, and it's preference to setuid to root. Then
 along came the OpenBSD project's tmux(1), and everything changed.

 Core to the idea of tmux(1) is a command interface, used for both
 configuration and run-time, making it a simple, easy-to-learn and
 easy-to-use (and configure) tool. In addition to this, tmux(1) gives you
 vertical and horizontal panes, pane templates, simple pane resizing, and
 so much more. If you're a screen(1) user, consider this a Screen User's
 Anonymous session; if you have refused to engage a terminal multiplexer
 to this point, and your monitor is cluttered daily with 20 - 30 terminal
 windows ... consider this your salvation; either way, bring your box and
 we'll get you rocking with tmux(1) in a couple of hours.

 About the speaker:

 Matthew Story is Director of the AxialMarket Corps of Engineers, and a
 contributor to the FreeBSD project. He regularly uses the small gun;
 xargs(1) is his favorite program (especially with -P).