NYC LOCAL: Starting Monday 9 July 2012: Circumvention Tech Hack Fest

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Starting Monday 9 July 2012: Circumvention Tech Hack Fest
Date: 9 Jul 2012 03:51:17 -0400

  what="official Freedom Box Project announcement"
  more="http://freedomboxfoundation.org/
        go down the page a bit to News"
  edits="many; lost crypto signing">

 From: James Vasile <vasile@freedomboxfoundation.org>
 To: updates@lists.freedomboxfoundation.org
 Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 13:01:23 -0400
 Subject: [Freedombox-discuss] [FreedomBox updates] Circumvention Tech Hackfest
in NYC July 9-12 Before HOPE

 FreedomBox, OpenITP, InformSec and ISOC-NY have partnered up to host a
 circumvention tools hackfest in NYC right before HOPE. We've got four
 days to plan, code and learn! If you want to hack on anti-censorship or
 anti-surveillance tools, bring your project, bring your skills and bring
 your friends. This event will be focused on writing code and solving
 design problems. We won't have any long presentations (there will be
 enough of those at HOPE), though we will have lightning talks and will
 give away a door prize or two.

 Where: Columbia Law School, Jerome Greene Hall, 116th and Amsterdam

 When: July 9 - 12, 10 am

 Who: Privacy and free communication hackers like you

 Please RSVP to kaurin at openitp.org and tell us what you plan to work
 on, what kind of projects and people you hope to meet, and which days
 you will join us.

 Feel free to repost this invite or to link to it.

 Some modest travel stipends are available for amazing projects. Email
 James Vasile (james at openitp.org) about those.

 Some projects we know will attend: Commotion Wireless, Cryptocat,
 Guardian Project, the Lantern Project, and Access.

 If you are looking for lodging, take a look at this list of nearby
 hotels. If you want a hostel, there's one on 103rd and Amsterdam.

 Big thanks to our partners, all of whom are contributing crucial support and
resources.