Re: Why backquotes in GNU documentation?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Why backquotes in GNU documentation?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:30:14 +0100

Dave <dave_140390@hotmail.com> writes:

Hi Dave,

> I have often seen single backquotes in GNU software documentation. For
> example, in
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_mono/libc.html one can
> read:
>
>       Using `htonl' is necessary so that

I guess, the main reason is that this is the way texinfo layouts
@code{}, @kbd{} and other macros.  But basically everything in `...'
refers to a command, a function, a variable, a key binding, a struct, or
something like that.

And at least to me, `some-function' looks much better than
'some-function'...

Bye,
Tassilo