Re: Jeff Gould: "Oracle to Red Hat: It's Not Your Father's Linux Market

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Jeff Gould: "Oracle to Red Hat: It's Not Your Father's Linux Market Anymore"
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:04:16 -0000

RJack <user@example.net> writes:

> On 10/20/2010 1:41 PM, RonB wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:20:55 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>>
>>> Ellison is changing the rules of the Linux game
>>
>> And let the hyperbole begin!
>>

> Hmmm... I originally predicted that IBM would co-opt Linux.
> Looks like Oracle forked it first. Ellison and company know
> that the GPL isn't worth the paper it gets printed on.

If that were so, default copyright would set in.  And that does not
allow copying and redistribution.  So Ellison and company will certainly
be smarter than to throw away the paper the GPL gets printed on.

> They couldn't give a rats ass less about the Free Software movement.

They do care about their bottom line, and the lawmakers have a tendency
to make breaking the laws expensive, as they don't fancy being ignored.

--
David Kastrup