Re: The GPL and Patents: ROFL

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: The GPL and Patents: ROFL
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:59:59 -0000

Hyman Rosen wrote:
[...]
> Really, I have no idea what this absurd discussion is even about
> anymore. The notion that copyright does not apply to a computer
> program which implements a patented process . . . .

Suppose a patentable idea along the lines of:

    step 1: a
    step 2: send Hyman a bomb
    step 3: c

and a program

int main() {
    step_1: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA();
    step_2: _________________send_Hyman_a_bomb________________();
    step_3: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ();
}

which is not copyrightable at all (as a computer program work), yet
a computer program work implementing send_Hyman_a_bomb() could be
copyrightable!

Got it now silly?

regards,
alexander.