Re: The GPL and Patents: ROFL

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: The GPL and Patents: ROFL
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:59:56 -0000

On 8/18/2010 1:29 PM, RJack wrote:
(b) In no case does copyright protection for an original work of
authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of
operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in
which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work."

Which part of "... regardless of the form in which it is described,
explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work" don't you understand
Hyman?

Can't you even read your own citations? Good lord! Here, maybe
if I take out the hard words you'll understand what you posted:

    In no case does copyright protection ... extend to any idea

See? Copyright doesn't protect the idea in the program, but it
protects the text of the program. The only time it does not is
if the text is inextricably bound to the idea. That was not the
case in Atari v. Nintendo, and indeed is almost never the case.

I guess the anti-GPL cranks feel it necessary to take their game
up a notch, from failing to understand law to failing to understand
English.