Re: As the GPL fades

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: As the GPL fades
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 21:45:38 +0100

Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> writes:

> On 2/5/2010 1:50 PM, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>> They "doesnt-know":
>> http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/06/verizon-ceo-doesnt-know-about.html
>
> As I've said before, everyone agrees that the GPL is
> a perfectly valid copyright license,

Oh, I disagree.  The GPL does not touch or regulate copyright.  It is a
license that gives you rights that copyright would not.  "Copyright" is
a law.  You can't license it.  There are _contracts_ (like the Microsoft
EULA) that try to get a party to _relinquish_ rights it would have under
copyright.  _That_ sort of "license" tampers with copyright.  The GPL
does not.

--
David Kastrup