Re: Google to launch PC operating system

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Google to launch PC operating system
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:15:53 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

> Rjack <user@example.net> writes:
>
> > GNUtians and RMS have blithely blathered and babbled since 1995 that
> > the GPL and "Copyleft" would destroy Micro$oft.

RMS' buddy Moglen's death threats to MS ("Free Software and the Death of
Proprietary Culture ... there's no room left for paying $12.95 to Mister
Gates: we win. We win.") and his others numerous "imminent" MS' death
"predictions" aside for a moment, how about the following quotes from
Stallman:

"In the GNU Project, discrimination against proprietary software is not
just a policy--it's the principle and the purpose.  Proprietary
software is fundamentally unjust and wrong, so when we have the
opportunity to place it at a disadvantage, that is a good thing."

> RMS has said that he is not going to lend any support to software
> hoarding practises, as typical for Microsoft.  But he never stated that
> such companies are _dependent_ on him or free software, so destruction
> of them never was a topic.

What?

"destruction of them never was a topic"?!

Dak, dak, dak, you silly dak.

(see "wrap myself in dynamite... I definitely did have fantasies of
killing myself and destroying their building in the process" below)

"The Lisp Machine software was hacker-built, meaning it was owned by
MIT but available for anyone to copy as per hacker custom. Such a
system limited the marketing advantage of any company hoping to license
the software from MIT and market it as unique. To secure an advantage,
and to bolster the aspects of the operating system that customers might
consider attractive, the companies recruited various AI Lab hackers and
set them working on various components of the Lisp Machine operating
system outside the auspices of the AI Lab.

The most aggressive in this strategy was Symbolics. By the end of 1980,
the company had hired 14 AI Lab staffers as part-time consultants to
develop its version of the Lisp Machine. Apart from Stallman, the rest
signed on to help LMI.7

At first, Stallman accepted both companies' attempt to commercialize
the Lisp machine, even though it meant more work for him. Both licensed
the Lisp Machine OS source code from MIT, and it was Stallman's job to
update the lab's own Lisp Machine to keep pace with the latest
innovations. Although Symbolics' license with MIT gave Stallman the
right to review, but not copy, Symbolics' source code, Stallman says a
"gentleman's agreement" between Symbolics management and the AI Lab made
it possible to borrow attractive snippets in traditional hacker fashion.

On March 16, 1982, a date Stallman remembers well because it was his
birthday, Symbolics executives decided to end this gentlemen's
agreement.
The move was largely strategic. LMI, the primary competition in the Lisp
Machine marketplace, was essentially using a copy of the AI Lab Lisp
Machine. Rather than subsidize the development of a market rival,
Symbolics executives elected to enforce the letter of the license. If
the AI Lab wanted its operating system to stay current with the
Symbolics
operating system, the lab would have to switch over to a Symbolics
machine
and sever its connection to LMI.

As the person responsible for keeping up the lab's Lisp Machine,
Stallman
was incensed. Viewing this announcement as an "ultimatum," he retaliated
by disconnecting Symbolics' microwave communications link to the
laboratory. He then vowed never to work on a Symbolics machine and
pledged his immediate allegiance to LMI. "The way I saw it, the AI Lab
was a neutral country, like Belgium in World War I," Stallman says. "If
Germany invades Belgium, Belgium declares war on Germany and sides with
Britain and France."

The circumstances of the so-called "Symbolics War" of 1982-1983 depend
heavily on the source doing the telling. When Symbolics executives
noticed that their latest features were still appearing in the AI Lab
Lisp Machine and, by extension, the LMI Lisp machine, they installed a
"spy" program on Stallman's computer terminal. Stallman says he was
rewriting the features from scratch, taking advantage of the license's
review clause but also taking pains to make the source code as
different as possible. Symbolics executives argued otherwise and took
their case to MIT administration. According to 1994 book, The Brain
Makers: Genius, Ego, and Greed, and the Quest for Machines That Think,
written by Harvey Newquist, the administration responded with a
warning to Stallman to "stay away" from the Lisp Machine project.8
According to Stallman, MIT administrators backed Stallman up. "I was
never threatened," he says. "I did make changes in my practices, though.
Just to be ultra safe, I no longer read their source code. I used only
the documentation and wrote the code from that."

Whatever the outcome, the bickering solidified Stallman's resolve. With
no source code to review, Stallman filled in the software gaps according
to his own tastes and enlisted members of the AI Lab to provide a
continuous stream of bug reports. He also made sure LMI programmers had
direct access to the changes. "I was going to punish Symbolics if it was
the last thing I did," Stallman says.

Such statements are revealing. Not only do they shed light on Stallman's
nonpacifist nature, they also reflect the intense level of emotion
triggered by the conflict. According to another Newquist-related story,
Stallman became so irate at one point that he issued an email
threatening
to "wrap myself in dynamite and walk into Symbolics' offices."9 Although
Stallman would deny any memory of the email and still describes its
existence as a "vicious rumor," he acknowledges that such thoughts did
enter his head. "I definitely did have fantasies of killing myself and
destroying their building in the process," Stallman says. "I thought my
life was over."...

7. See H. P. Newquist, The Brain Makers: Genius, Ego, and Greed in the
Quest for Machines that Think (Sams Publishing, 1994): 172.

8. Ibid.: 196.

9. Ibid. Newquist, who says this anecdote was confirmed by several
Symbolics executives, writes, "The message caused a brief flurry of
excitement and speculation on the part of Symbolics' employees, but
ultimately, no one took Stallman's outburst that seriously."  "

Source:

                       Free as in Freedom

          Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software

                       ISBN 0-596-00287-4

regards,
alexander.

--