Re: Fw: [FSF] FSF Settles Suit Against Cisco

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: Fw: [FSF] FSF Settles Suit Against Cisco
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 18:34:03 -0400

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
Well, here's the answer.

[This press release is available on the web at <http://www.fsf.org/news/2009-05-cisco-settlement.html>. FSF Compliance Engineer Brett Smith has written about what we can learn from this settlement at <http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/2009-05-settlement>.]

BOSTON, Massachusetts, USA -- Wednesday, May 20, 2009 -- The Free Software Foundation (FSF) and Cisco Systems, Inc. are pleased to announce that they have reached a joint agreement.

Under the agreement, the FSF has agreed to dismiss its lawsuit against Cisco.

I also read a copy of the joint agreement between Cisco and the FSF
and it states the FSF dismisses its complaint with prejudice and
receives no costs and in addition admits the GPL is unenforceable.
What a defeat for the FSF. The World has learned from this settlement
that programmers no longer need to fear the claimed viral nature of
the GPL.

Sincerely,
Rjack :)