Re: GPL traitor !

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 09:39:53 -0400

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
The scenario permeating this thread is of somebody enhancing a copyright
program, the GCC, with his enhancements which don't conform to the
GCC's license in a separate binary file, then DISTRIBUTING the whole.

That's not the scenario I'm talking about. I am talking only about
distributing the separate piece, not combined or even on the same
medium with the program with which it will interact.

I agree that shipping the combined work statically linked, or possibly
even shipping the new program and the existing one together on the
same distribution medium (when not part of a large collection), would
be considered a collective work, and then the GPL requirements would
affect the new work.

But distributing the new work alone, not in combination with the work
with which it is meant to interact, incurs no copyright requirements
from the other work.