Re: GPL traitor !

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 10:24:59 -0700

In article <gu0vnj$2pte$1@colin2.muc.de>, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
wrote:
> > Another example is XMLRPC (or SOAP or other similar technoloties) in
> > which a function is called via network request on a distributed system.
> > Some believe that this is covered by the GPL, others believe it isn't.
>
> I'll assume that by "this" you mean the invocation of a GPL licensed
> function over a network, or a GPL licensed program invoking something
> over a network.
>
> The GPL doesn't differentiate between calling technoloties.  It's _what_
> gets called that matters, not the technoloty by which it gets called;
> whether the thing getting called is a program independent of what's
> calling it, or is really part of it.  The same applies to functionality

Suppose someone has a SOAP server, with a publicly defined interface.  I
write code that calls a service on that SOAP server.  What copyright
right of the server code author have I potentially infringed?

I'm not copying, distributing, or making a derivative work of any of his
server code, so why do I care about whatever copyright license the
server code is under?

--
--Tim Smith