Re: Microsoft and TomTom settle

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Microsoft and TomTom settle
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:05:50 +0200

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> Rjack wrote:
> >
> > 7 wrote:

> > > microsoft-and-tomtom-settle-patent-dispute.ars
> > >

> > > That is one of the fastest settlements I have seen for a big corp.
> > > Usually propellor heads will rachet up the ante all day and all
> > > night for years before making a move.
> > >
> > > I wonder what forced micoshaft to change their mind?
> >
> > Even a turd head like you is capable reading the rest of
> > referenced article:
> >
> > "TomTom has paid to license Microsoft's patents, including those
> > covering FAT."
> >
> > http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/microsoft-and-tomtom-settle-patent-dispute.ars
>
> SFLC's spin-doctoring:
>
> http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2009/mar/30/settled-not-over-yet/
>
> ------
> March 30, 2009
>
> Settled, But Not Over Yet
>
> Today's settlement between Microsoft and TomTom ends one phase of the
> community's response to Microsoft patent aggression, and begins another.
> On the basis of the information we have, we have no reason to believe
> that TomTom's settlement agreement with Microsoft violates the license
> on the kernel, Linux, or any other free software used in its products.
> The settlement neither implies that Microsoft patents are valid nor that
> TomTom's products were or are infringing.
>
> The FAT filesystem patents on which Microsoft sued are now and have
> always been invalid patents in our professional opinion. SFLC remains
> committed to protecting the interests of our clients and the community.
> We will act forcefully to protect all users and developers of free
> software against further intimidation or interference from these
> patents.
>
> SFLC, working with the Open Invention Network and the Linux Foundation,
> is pleased to participate in a coordinated, carefully graduated response
> on behalf of all the community's members to ongoing anti-competitive
> Microsoft conduct. We believe in strength through unity, and we think
> our community's unity in the face of these threats has helped to bring
> about Microsoft's quick settlement on all issues with TomTom.
> ------

Interestingly enough, both

http://www.patenthawk.com/blog/2009/03/quickly_drummed.html

and

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10207291-56.html

quote even more ridiculous version of the SFLC's spin.

(patenthawk's blog)

"The Software Freedom Law Center became delusional over the settlement,
declaring, "today's settlement between Microsoft and TomTom shows the
strength of our community's resistance to patent aggression by
Microsoft."

(cnet's blog)

"The Software Freedom Law Center, meanwhile, sought to claim victory
with the TomTom settlement.

"Today's settlement between Microsoft and TomTom shows the strength of
our community's resistance to patent aggression by Microsoft," the group
said in a statement. "TomTom avoids protracted expensive litigation and
will continue to be the world leader in Linux-based navigation devices.
It will innovate on its own and the community's behalf to prevent even
invalid patents from being used to inhibit our community's ability to
make software."

The group initially stated that the settlement agreement does not
violate the terms of any open source license, but amended that statement
later on Monday to say "On the basis of the information we have, we have
no reason to believe that TomTom's settlement agreement with Microsoft
violates the license on the kernel, Linux, or any other free software
used in its products."

The organization added that it believes "the settlement neither implies
that Microsoft patents are valid nor that TomTom's products were or are
infringing." "

LOL.

BTW, more from patenthawk's blog:

"In the past few years, Microsoft has transformed from pure patent
victim to patent predator, raking in well over a billion dollars since
it got patent religion in 2005, exercising its muscle with its corporate
customers in heavy-handed cross-license deals. A hundred million here, a
hundred million there, and pretty soon you're talking real money.

But the 800-pound gorilla still has at least one pesky chimp bothering
it for bananas. Inventor Gary Odom has an ongoing suit, claiming a major
feature of the wildly popular Ribbon, a new style toolbar with active
tool groups, used in Office 2007, and soon to make an appearance in
Windows 7. In hopes of prolonged denial, Microsoft got the venue changed
from East Texas to Portland, Oregon, where Odom lives, so Odom can now
conveniently walk to the courthouse from his lair. In return for the
transfer, Markman for the case got moved up a month, and trial was
delayed but a couple months, to August 2010. Talks have not occurred,
and settlement is not expected."

regards,
alexander.

--