Re: More FSF hypocrisy

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: More FSF hypocrisy
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:29:02 +0100

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > Hyman Rosen wrote:
> > [...]
> >> against public policy. A license which acts to make a work
> >> more widely available is the opposite of that.
> >
> > You're utterly confused regarding the GPL vs.
> > I bet that "fellow crank" Daniel Wallace would not file a complaint
> > against those.
> >
> > Do you have any doubts, Hyman? Please explain why.
>
> All of those other licenses allow the creation of products
> which may be selectively withheld from the general public
> by their creators. Only the GPL requires that creators not
> so limit their works.

Are you okay, Hyman? Since when does the GPL purport to prohibit
creators to "selectively withheld from the general public" their works?
You seem to confuse the GNU GPL with its predecessor the GNU Emacs
License:

"To close that escape hatch, Stallman and his free software colleagues
came up with a solution: users would be free to modify GNU Emacs just so
long as they published their modifications." Source:
http://oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ch09.html

See also

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/circs/2nd/039303p.pdf

regards,