Re: Tom Tom and Microsofts Linux patent lock-down ..

From: Andrew Halliwell
Subject: Re: Tom Tom and Microsofts Linux patent lock-down ..
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:48:15 +0000

Rahul Dhesi <c.c.eiftj@xrexxtomxt.usenet.us.com> wrote:
> Rjack <user@example.net> writes:
>
>>GNU fans never lose, they just mooooooooooooooooooove the goalposts.
>
> I feel your pain. Asking for the maximum possible, and then settling for
> a lot less, is a common strategy that is, unfortunately, embedded into
> the adversary system of justice.
>
> Rjack, if it were up to you, how would you improve the system? Would you
> propose a rule that once a party asks for a certain amount, it is not
> permitted to take any less? How would you enforce this?

The one thing that needs to be done to the system is Loser pays ALL bills,
both the plaintiff's and the accused's.

It's already like that over here in the UK for most types of cases.

It'd stop a lot of fishing for out of court settlements if the accused was
no longer terrified of being bankrupted for being found not guilty. Where's
the justice in that? The innocent should face absolutely no consequences for
being willing to defend themselves and winning.
--
|   spike1@freenet.co,uk   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   |                                                 |