Microsoft's Open Specification Promise ..

From: Doug Mentohl
Subject: Microsoft's Open Specification Promise ..
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:12:45 +0000

Microsoft makes its promise “irrevocably,” but upon careful reading of the entire OSP, this promise is weakened considerably in the definition of Covered Specifications. In that provision, Microsoft clarifies that:

New versions of previously covered specifications will be separately considered for addition to the list ..

Because the General Public License (GPL) is not universally interpreted the same way by everyone, we can't give anyone a legal opinion about how our language relates to the GPL or other OSS licenses, but based on feedback from the open source community we believe that a broad audience of developers can implement the specification(s) ...

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/osp-gpl.html