Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 01:46:44 -0500

Rahul Dhesi wrote:
I don't see this distinction in the GPL anywhere.

The distinction isn't in the GPL, it's in copyright law.
The GPL activates only in the context of doing something
that copyright law would otherwise not permit. Copyright
law has various distinctions about copying over computer
networks, and I don't even know if it's been determined
whether the user initiating the download or the owner of
the webserver or the owner of the disk storage is the one
liable for infringement.