Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: amicus_curious
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:03:12 -0500

"David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message 85eixnrgc6.fsf@lola.goethe.zz">news:85eixnrgc6.fsf@lola.goethe.zz...
"amicus_curious" <ACDC@sti.net> writes:

"David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
85fxi6u9li.fsf@lola.goethe.zz">news:85fxi6u9li.fsf@lola.goethe.zz...
"amicus_curious" <ACDC@sti.net> writes:

"Alan Mackenzie" <acm@muc.de> wrote in message
news:gnq384$27ef$1@colin2.muc.de...

You could make the same sort of argument about any "petty" peccadillo.
Why bother prosecuting a fare dodger for a 2 Euro fare?  Seems a bit
disproportionate, doesn't it?

Do they arraign and prosecute people for this in your town?

Well, we only have fares for the bus riders and if you don't pay, the
driver throws you off.  How would you even manage to keep score as to
how many times a person "dodged a fare" for two bucks?

The conductors take your personals, charge you the equivalent of about
20 fares.  If this happens too often, they take you to court for
damages.  I think you get the equivalent of a ban from the company's
premises if you do this too often, in addition to the fines.

How many times can you do it before they come looking for you?

Try it.

I have patched proprietary software (drivers, Pascal runtimes and
others) in the binaries for removing bugs that were hampering my work
flow.  It is a nuisance to debug using only binaries.  It is not a
matter of efficiency: if you think you can tell somebody like Digital
Research to please fix a system call from some driver DLL, you are
simply deluded about your influence and their response time and
response style.

You seem to be a little out of touch.  Digital Research was crushed by
Microsoft some years ago.

So what?  It was still some DRDOS internal driver which I had to patch
at that time.  History does not change with the present.  If you don't
understand the basics of how time works for the daily life, you should
take some courses.

Context, please! I would not think that I could tell Digital Research to fix a system call since I know they are no longer in business. I might send an email to NVidia or such a vendor saying that I needed something, though. Else I might just bide my time. Trying to create one by myself, with or without source, would likely not happen ever.

But in any case you would have to offer much more detail as to your
prowess with such things.  I still think you are just bluffing.
Certainly anyone with such work to do wouldn't have time to waste
around here.  We .NET folk, OTOH, have time to burn.

I doubt that you programmed any .NET application to be taken seriously.

Doubt all you want, but you are wrong.

There are several thousands copyright owners if you are talking about
the kernel.  You need all their agreement for a license upgrade.  The
FSF has its own opinion about just how smart that was.  If you are
talking about the user land, a lot of it is migrating to GPLv3.
After all, large portions are (c) FSF anyway.

There you go waving your hands in the thin air again.  What are the
top 4 FOSS programs that have moved from GPLv2 to v3?

What about GCC, coreutils, glibc, and just for fun, Emacs?

Well, they are all part of the FSF package. Surely they will do that. Speak of more rational people.

Serious amount of money when done commercially?  More likely serious
jail terms.  It is somewhat disconcerting that copyright violations
tend to get longer jail terms than manslaughter and rape.

I don't think that you are talking about the USofA here.  No one in my
memory has ever gone to jail for piracy of software or music or any
other copyright violation.

What country are you living in?

USofA here => United States of America.  That seemed clear to me.

All the horror stories about the BSA prosecution on behalf of
Microsoft are only in regard to collecting fees owed.  I guess if you
prosecute people for not paying their fares, you might jail them for
copying music and software, too.  I wouldn't want to live where you
are.

It would appear that you don't even have a clue about where you live.

You argue poorly, using nonsense instead of any facts or logic. Apparently you have neither at your command.