Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:54:36 +0100

   >    An ethical person won't misappropriate copyrighted software
   >    anyway.  No company rule is needed.
   >
   >    An unethical person will ignore the copyright license if it's
   >    convenient for him to do so, and he will likewise ignore the
   >    company rule if it's convenient for him to do so.
   >
   > Ignoring a license that subjugates a users freedom is not
   > unethical, it is the only right thing to do.  It may be illegal,
   > but it is not unethical or immoral to do so.

   I disagree, since that ignores the author's desires.  The ethical
   thing is not to touch the software at all.

The users freedoms are always more important.

   > If you ask me for a program that is useful to you, and the
   > license states that I cannot copy it to you, then I will still do
   > so, since that is what is right, that is the only ethical and
   > moral decision.

   Why do you acquire software when you don't like its license?  I
   know that I don't.  Running into moral dilemmas open-eyed is
   stupid.

I don't have any software like that, it was an example.