NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 18 February 2009 NYLUG: Brian Gupta and Nathan Frei

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 18 February 2009 NYLUG: Brian Gupta and Nathan Freitas: Overview of the Android Mobile Platform
Date: 16 Feb 2009 10:12:42 -0500

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:45:01 -0500 (EST)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] NYLUG Feb 18 @ 6:30 PM Brian Gupta & Nathan Freitas
on An overview of the Android Mobile Platform

 Wednesday, February 18, 2009
 6:30pm-8:00 PM
 IBM
 590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
 corner of 57th Street

 ** RSVP Closes at 4:30pm the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                      Brian Gupta & Nathan Freitas
                                - on -
              An overview of the Android Mobile Platform

 Please join us Wednesday, February 18th 2009 for a discussion on Google's
 relatively new mobile-oriented Linux operating system, Android.

 Android is a fully integrated and open source bundle of software
 significantly lowers the current costs of developing mobile devices
 (currently runs on a cellphone (the HTC Dream/T-Mobile G1), and a number of
 unofficial "ports".  It consists of an operating system, middleware, a
 user-friendly interface and powerful applications.

 The talk will start with a review of the internal architecture of the
 Android platform, breaking down the various components, and examine how
 they work.  Then we will review the latest status of the open source
 project, including how to get and build the source code, and how to get
 involved.

 At this point there will be a short session introducing application
 development on the Android platform, walking through the open-source tool
 chain, including the command line tools and the Eclipse.org IDE based
 environment.  The core application components will be broken down,
 including the XML-based formats for resources and user interface design.
 The required "Hello, World!" app will be shown, along with a more complex
 "Geo Report" app which utilizes more advanced features such as GPS location
 and the Camera.  Finally, application deployment either via the Android
 Market or through direct web or physical distribution will be demonstrated.

 Finally, we will cover hacking the phone.  This will include how to
 "get root" on the phone, and how to build and/or install custom firmware.
 (And why you might want to do so).  Also for those Debian fans in the
 audience we will touch on the status of Debian on the G1.

 If there is time after the meeting Brian will be willing to help people
 "get root" their phones.

 More Information:

     * Android site
       http://www.android.com/

     * The Android FAQ
       http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Android_FAQ

     * Open Handset Alliance
       http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/

     * Android Market (ie: "app store")
       http://market.android.com/

 About Brian Gupta:
   Brian Gupta is an advocate of open source software and participates and
   contributes to a number of open source projects and communities in and
   outside of the New York area.  Brian is also a big fan of the mobile
   computing. (Having owned over 20 PDA/smartphones/pocket computers in his
   lifetime.)  Brian helps moderate and co-launched the #androidnyc channel
   on irc.freenode.net.  Brian also lead creation of "the FAQ" and collected
   most of the questions and answers.

   Brian is currently leading a five man consulting team that offers remote
   sysadmin and DBA services. (http://www.brandorr.com)

 About Nathan Freitas:
   Nathan Freitas has been writing code since he was eight and hasn't
   stopped looking for problems to solve ever since.  A lifelong mobile
   technology enthusiast, his career has included work on DARPA-funded
   research projects, popular consumer products, award-winning digital art
   pieces and groundbreaking technology for activists and organizers.

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
   12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
   the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

 Map:
   http://nylug.org/mapofibm

 Books!!!
   Our friends at Prentice-Hall kindly provide us with review copies
   of various new titles.  One of these could be yours, all you have
   to do is agree to review the book within a reasonable period of
   time.

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   over at TGI Fridays located at 677 Lexington Avenue and 56th
   Street, second floor. Northeast corner.

 Python Workshops:
   We are rounding up a group that wants to learn Python.  This would
   be a great time to attend our workshop.

   The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
   Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
   Next meetings are February 17, followed by March 3.
   See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/pythoncalendar

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.