Re: GPL propaganda

From: Kelsey Bjarnason
Subject: Re: GPL propaganda
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 11:27:27 -0700

[snips]

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:53:40 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> On 2008-09-26, Rjack <user@example.net> wrote:

>> 2) Do care about GPL advocates stealing other people's exclusive rights
>> with an illegal copyright license.

>      Yet the likes of Oracle and EA seem to manage well enough despite
> of all of your bitching and moaning. This "problem" of yours only ever
> manifests itself whenever you try to take someone else's property and
> treat it as if it were your own.

I've got Herr Bonehead killfiled, but I happened to see this response to
it.  He's asserting an "illegal copyright license"; is he actually
suggesting that the GPL results in some sort of illegality?  That if I
use GPL'd code in my own app, I'm somehow stealing something from the
original writer?  Is he unaware that the original developer _chose_ to
release it as GPL, knowing full well it would be re-used in other
applications?

Or is this some other argument?