Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:51:39 +0200

Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

> I *do* know of five plaintiff suits filed by the SFLC for copyright
> infringement under the GPL that have been defeated. I know that you
> want to count running scared "voluntary dismissals" as "victories" but
> reasonable people know better.

A so-called defeat would imply that the source remains closed since that
was the objective of the law suit.  The defendants have come either in
compliance, or have volunteered the information who actually was at
fault (and that non-party has then come into compliance without a
separate lawsuit).

If one can get all one's objectives accomplished by being constantly
"defeated", that's a comfortable position to be in.