Re: The GPL dream continues

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: The GPL dream continues
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:44:24 -0700

In article <Y3eqk.3628$cp6.3205@fe109.usenetserver.com>,
 Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote:
> If it should turn out that the courts do not uphold the validity
> of these licenses (which, given the JMRI case, appears unlikely),
> then I believe you could shortly thereafter expect congress to
> change copyright law to make them valid. After all, agencies of
> the U.S. government itself distribute software under the GPL:
> <http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/info/license.cfm>

The parts of that software that were written by the NSA are public
domain.  The software as a whole is distributed under GPL because that's
the license the non-NSA parts are under, but if you wanted to pick out
the NSA parts and do something with them that is against the GPL, that
would be fine.

--
--Tim Smith