Re: Red Hat pays $800,000 + costs for a patent deal

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Red Hat pays $800,000 + costs for a patent deal
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 00:15:25 +0200

Rick <none@nomail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:54:00 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
>
>> Linux advocates hate facts because when he facts are put on the
>> table, Linux as a desktop system is in serious trouble. Virtually
>> nobody is using it and that's sorry considering it's free and
>> Windows/Mac are not.
>
> ... and there's your oft repeated dishonest FUD. Google is using it.
> Largo is using it. Chicago is using it. Hollywood is using it. Munich
> is using it. Wall street is using it.The French Gendarmes and National
> Assembly are using it. People are paying Novel and Red Hat and Novel
> to use it. It is being used in more and more cell phones and embedded
> devices instead of Windows derivatives. That doesn't sound like
> virtually no one.
>
> And, of course, you will find ways to dismiss each example because you
> apparently can't accept that Linux and OSS is actually used through
> out the world on desktops, servers and various devices.

It is irrelevant for its quality how many people are using it.  The
important question is rather how many and how capable people are
contributing to it.

I don't consider the things I eat inferior just because billions of
billions of flies would rather eat crap.  That's not relevant for my own
choices.