Re: "My dad is a pirate" but "Mark Kent is a clueless moron."

From: The Ghost In The Machine
Subject: Re: "My dad is a pirate" but "Mark Kent is a clueless moron."
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:41:28 -0800

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, spike1@freenet.co.uk
<spike1@freenet.co.uk>
 wrote
on Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:06:25 +0000
<h6gb95-i9f.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com>:
> In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc,
> Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> didnst hastily scribble thusly:
>> I'm not sure how long you have been posting here Troy, but the one thing
>> that will become apparent is that COLA is like no where else on the
>> net. And Mark Kent is one of the biggest idiots you are likely to come
>> across. When NVidia finally solved the Linux problem
>
> What does "finally solved the linux problem" mean exactly?
> Nvidia released their drivers for accellerated 3D over 7 years ago.
> And unless you did a nymshift, you weren't even in COLA back then.

Nvidia has yet to release source for their newer drivers
(the older card drivers have source, if one can use 'nv'
within the X server, for RAGE-128-era hardware, which is
by now extremely ancient AIUI).

And they've yet to solve the problem 100%, at
least on my hardware (which is a BT5500; I'm
assuming this is similar to a GEForce FX 5500 in
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/132).  Basically,
if I ssh tunnel into my laptop and tell it to display on
my Athlon, I occasionally get very funny looking artifacts
in Eclipse's splash window; if I cancel Eclipse's request
for a workspace and reinvoke, it seems to work around
that issue.

I also get a fair number of X lockups when doing so --
requiring an X restart.

Were these drivers open source I could at least contemplate
looking through them for obvious race conditions and other
such flaws.  Certainly I doubt this is Eclipse's fault. ;-)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.