Re: GPLed Software Expiration Date

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: GPLed Software Expiration Date
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:39:19 +0000

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 12:01:39PM -0500, rjack wrote:
> Assuming the GPL is an enforceable contract -- it isn't -- the permissions
> would last for thirty five years, which is the maximum duration of an
> "irrevocable" copyright license. See 17 USC § 203(a)(3)).

For those who might be curious as to why such statement is a lie, the
keyword here is "irrevocable".

17 USC § 203(a)(3) does indeed talk about termination of a grant after
yers when there's the right of publication (like in the GPL) BUT in this
case it is an *irrevocable* grant.

Being irrevocable, means it doesn't have an expiry period.

Please also notice that there's nothing related to irrevocable being
actually not irrevocable at said reference, which reinforces rjack's
lie:

http://www.bitlaw.com/source/17usc/203.html

Best,
Rui

ps: I predict insults will be what I get in reply, at least from
Therekov and rjack (who I seriously believe are one and the same
person).

--
Hail Eris!
Today is Pungenday, the 66th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?