Re: Monsoon settles: complies with GPL, pays undisclosed sum

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Monsoon settles: complies with GPL, pays undisclosed sum
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:09:58 +0000

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 07:47:44PM -0400, rjack wrote:
> Geza Giedke wrote:
>> The case of GPL-violation by Monsoon Multimedia that was discussed
>> here recently has been settled out of court.
>
> "The SFLC is using threats of copyright infringement prosecution under
> the GPL as a tactical matter to force Monsoon Multimedia to comply with
> a contractual covenant.The SFLC will never allow a federal court to
> examine the GPL on its merits.
>
> If the suit goes forward (which I seriously doubt) the District Court
> will dismiss due to failure to state a federal claim. Contract claims
> are heard under the common law of state jurisdictions."
>

> The GPL is D.O.A. under a F.R.Civ.P. Rule 12 Motion to Dismiss in a US
> federal court. After the plaintiff's filed a voluntary Motion to Dismiss it
> was inevitable that GPL supporters would trumpet "the GPL won in court".
> Magnanimous claims without the GPL so much as being read by a judge -- same
> old, tired FSF FUD story -- just a different day.
> :)

Yeah, but it seems all lawyers, even experienced ones, seem to cave in
rather than following your expectations, which have had an yet unbeatable
success rate of 0%.

Keep on with the good job, rjack/therekov...

Rui

--
Or is it?
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 12nd day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?