Re: Help to pick a license for my free source code project

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Help to pick a license for my free source code project
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:42:58 +0100

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 07:42:53PM -0400, rjack wrote:
> Eben then further states:
>
> “In the case of the GPL, no one is bound to anything in
> particular unless she redistributes the software, modified or
> unmodified.”
>
> This is *not* true. No one can be bound by the GPL whether
> distribution occurs or not -- because a contract cannot bind
> “all third parties” as the GPL’s sec. 2(b) purports to require. See:
>
> “It goes without saying that a contract cannot bind a nonparty.”;
> Equal Employment Opportunity Comm’n v. Waffle House, Inc. 122
> S.Ct. 754, 764 (2002)
>
> Who ya’ gonna’ believe. . . the United States Supreme Court
> or Eben Moglen?

Not you certainly, because GPL 2, 2(b) does not bind third parties.

It binds the second party (you, in the license).

So while USSC says something which is completely true, you lie about
the GNU GPL in order to distort reality towards your false reasoning.

Rui

--
Keep the Lasagna flying!
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 70th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?