No Emails for Sports Prediction Program, only Downloads

From: Inventor
Subject: No Emails for Sports Prediction Program, only Downloads
Date: 29 May 2007 17:07:40 -0700

Hi,

I just released my Sports Prediction Program under the GNU GPL last
week.  I mentioned it on two newsgroup posts and so far have gotten
about 25 hits on the website, but zero courtesy emails.  Is it common
for people to just take the software without so much as a thank-you
email?  The same thing happened when I released some Quake software a
few months ago on www.planetquake.com.

If GNU is in part a community of like-minded folks, then why is this
behavior so prevalent?  Well, I guess i shouldn't complain since I
didn't leave email comments when I downloaded GNU software.  Still, I
was hoping for some limited amount of community or friendly exchange
to take place.  Perhaps it is too early as football season is still
months away.

If anyone is interersted in seeing the web page, it is here:
http://homepage.mac.com/thingsofrings/sports/index.htm

Also, I have thought of making the software available via email only
to force a "hello" from each downloader, but that just doesn't seem
right.  Looking for advice and comments.  Thanks.