Re: Did I finally figure out the rationale?

From: mike3
Subject: Re: Did I finally figure out the rationale?
Date: 28 May 2007 12:03:06 -0700

On May 28, 1:06 am, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <r...@1407.org> wrote:
> Dom, 2007-05-27 às 14:56 -0500, John Hasler escreveu:
>
> > be described as "a copyright license".  In fact, most "copyright licenses"
> > --those between authors and publishers for example-- are contracts as well.
>
> No, there are contracts where authors assign or even sell (in some
> jurisdictions) their copyrights.
>
> The Copyright is a temporary monopoly in order to give a negotiating
> advantage to authors when dealing with editors/distributors.
>
> > in addition to taking away many of the rights the copy owner would
> > otherwise have.  I was not aware that it did the so, but I haven't seen a
> > recent version.
>
> For some years Microsoft's EULA removes your right to privacy. It also
> explicitly allows Microsoft to inspect your premises for compliance, as
> well as administrate your machines.
>
> Hence the very appropriate term of Spyware as a description of
> Microsoft's most popular software.

So then Microsoft's agreement is not a good one. However, it has
also been said that _any_ proprietary agreement, even one without
such extreme restrictions and stuff, is not "good" according to GNU
since there should be _no_ monopoly in any form and everyone
must be able to distribute the software, according to GNU morality,
ethics, and core philosophy.