Re: gpl as applied to ideas

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: gpl as applied to ideas
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 21:03:59 +0100 (CET)

   I am about to make my own proprietary desktop program on MS Windows XP
   using MS .Net 1.1.

Sorry, we cannot help you.  Helping you would cause harm to society,
non-free software is a pest, and we are trying to eradicate it.  You
should make your program free software.  Please see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html for
details about what we are trying to do.

   However, I have one problem with GPL: it talks of source code,
   linking, calling, mixing/combining free/non-free code and finally
   free/non-free documents. But nobody seems to be talking of
   concepts, ideas and layouts.

Ideas are not covered by any law, having them covered would be quite
bad.