NYC LOCAL: Thursday 9 November 2006 UNIGROUP: Solaris 10 Field Trip to S

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Thursday 9 November 2006 UNIGROUP: Solaris 10 Field Trip to Sun
Date: 7 Nov 2006 23:29:47 -0500

  what="official UNIGROUP announcement">

 Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 04:07:13 -0500 (EST)
 From: Unigroup_of_NY <unilist@unigroup.org>
 Subject: UNIGROUP Meeting 09-NOV-2006: Solaris 10 Field Trip to Sun

 UNIGROUP OF NEW YORK - UNIX USERS GROUP - NOVEMBER 2006 ANNOUNCEMENTS

 1. UNIGROUP'S NOVEMBER 2006 GENERAL MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

       When:  THURSDAY, November 9th, 2006  (** SPECIAL 2rd Thursday **)

      Where:  <<<< FIELD TRIP LOCATION >>>>
              Sun Microsystems, Inc.
              101 Park Avenue, 4th Floor  (at 40th Street)
              Midtown, New York, NY 10178
              ** RSVP Mandatory **

       Time:  6:15 PM - 6:25 PM  Registration
              6:25 PM - 6:45 PM  Ask the Wizard, Questions,
                                 Answers and Current Events
              6:45 PM - 7:00 PM  Unigroup Business and Announcements
              7:00 PM - 9:30 PM  Main Presentation

      Topic:  Solaris 10 - Field Trip to Sun Microsystems
              Networking, Virtualization, Hardware and
              other topics of interest.

   Speakers:  Various,
              Sun Microsystems <http://www.sun.com>

    INTRODUCTION:
    -------------

    As promised, our next field trip to Sun Microsystems is happening
    this week... a special SECOND THURSDAY Field Trip meeting.

    SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
    Please avoid emailed RSVPs, if at all possible.

    Please continue to check the Unigroup web site and meeting page,
    for any last minute updates concerning this meeting.  If you
    registered for this meeting, please check your email for any last
    minute announcements as the meeting approaches.  Also make sure
    any anti-spam white-lists are updated to _ALLOW_ Unigroup traffic!

    Please try to RSVP as soon as possible.

    **** Due to building security, you MUST ARRIVE PRIOR TO 7:30pm!
         Watch for the next Emailing, this arrival time may change!
         Expect additional special instructions concerning arrival!

    MAIN PRESENTATION OUTLINE:
    --------------------------

    Topics to be discussed:
      - Solaris 10 Networking  (Primary Focus)
      - Virtualization
      - Solaris Hardware: x86 and Sparc
      - Special Discounts on Sun Hardware for Unigroup Members

    Sun usually makes software on CD/DVD available for our attendees.
    The following should be available for handout this meeting:
      Java Platform Standard Edition JDK 5.0 update 6
      Sun Java system application server platform edition 8.2
      NetBeans 5.0 IDE
      NetBeans Mobility Pack 5.0
      NetBeans Profiler 5.0
      Sun Java Studio Creator 2.0
      Sun Java Studio Enterprise 8
      Sun Studio 11

    ** Note: The Sun User Group Meeting (announcement below) is
             totally independent of the Unigroup meeting.
             Sign up for those day-time events independently of
             the RSVP for this meeting.

    Web Resources:
    --------------

      Sun Solaris 10
          http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/10

      Sun BigAdmin Portal
          http://www.bigadmin.com

      Sun Microsystems
          http://www.sun.com

    Speaker Biography:
    ------------------

    Ambreesh Khanna has been at Sun for 7 years, and is currently the
    Datacenter and Edge Technologies Lead for NY/NJ.

    We also expect other members from Sun Solaris Engineering.

    Company Biography:
    ------------------

    See http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/index.html for company information
    about Sun Microsystems.

    Giveaways:
    ----------

    (see above)

    Fee Schedule:
        Yearly Membership (includes all meetings):      $ 50.00
        Non-Member Single Meeting:                      $ 20.00
        Student Yearly Membership:                      $ 20.00
        Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with ID):    $  5.00
        Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.

    Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served.

    Sun Microsystems usually provides a vast spread of sandwiches,
    salads and desserts.

    Directions:

      ** FIELD TRIP LOCATION **
         Sun Microsystems
         101 Park Avenue, 4th Floor   (at 40th Street)
         Midtown, New York City

    The office of Sun Microsystems is 1-2 blocks South of Grand Central
    Station.  Enter the building at the corner of Park Avenue and 40th
    Street.

    Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
    Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

    -----------------------------------
 2. SUN USER GROUP MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT
    -----------------------------------

  # SOLARIS 10 USER GROUP PART VII: (FORMERLY CALLED THE DEVELOPER SERIES)
  # Presented by: Sun Microsystems, Inc.]
  #
  #
  # We've been busy these last six months....  Come and hear why ...
  #
  # Solaris 10 User Group, Part VII is ready, and we WANT you to come and
  # hear what we've been up to.
  #
  # You've waited a long time and it's about to pay off!  Several months
  # ago, Sun Microsystems, Inc. covered ZFS... the next generation
  # filesystem, the Niagara LDoms, and Aduva and Patch Management.....a
  # leader in patch and change management tools for Linux and Solaris.
  #
  # How can we top that? Well... read on.  We won't disappoint you ...
  #
  # We have a full day of updates on OpenSolaris, Zones, Zen, LDOMS, and
  # a Solaris on AMD/Intel update, as well as a Solaris Roadmap, and
  # Trusted Extensions.  What are Trusted Extensions and how do you use
  # them? Come and hear how and why!
  #
  # Register today for the next Solaris User Group Series, Part VII.
  # Lunch is on us!
  #
  # Please read below for agenda topics, speakers, dates and locations!
  #
  # This event is sure to fill up fast, so please register!
  #
  # DATES & TIME:
  # =============
  #
  # Wednesday, November 8, 2006 (Somerset, NJ) - 9:00am - 5:00 pm **
  # Thursday, November 9, 2006 (New York, NY) - 9:00am - 5:00 pm **
  #
  # REGISTRATION:
  # =============
  #
  # Please register for one of the following locations:
  # http://sunsmart.sun.com/wma/
  # Event ID: techne
  # Password: sun
  #
  # LOCATIONS:
  # ==========
  #
  # Wednesday November 8, 2006
  # Sun Offices: Somerset, NJ
  # Sun Conference Room
  # 400 Atrium Drive
  # Somerset, NJ 08873
  #
  # Thursday, November 9, 2006
  # Sun Offices: New York
  # 101 Park Avenue
  # 4th floor: Grammercy Park Conference Room
  # New York, NY 10178
  #
  # AUDIENCE:
  # =========
  #
  # IT/Technology Professionals, CXOs/CTOs, Developers, Line-of-Business
  # Professionals
  #
  # AGENDA:
  # =======
  #
  # 09:00 - 09:15 am | Welcome - Ambreesh Khanna, Chief Technologist,
  #                              Global Financial Services Industry
  # 09:15 - 10:15 am | OpenSolaris update - Simon Phipps, VP, Chief
  #                              Open Source Office, Sun Microsystems
  # 10:15 - 10:45 am | Solaris roadmap - Ambreesh Khanna
  # 10:45 - 12:45 pm | Trusted Extensions - Glenn Faden, Chief Architect,
  #                              Trusted Solaris
  # 12:45 - 01:15 pm | Lunch break
  # 01:15 - 02:45 pm | LDOMs update - Ashley Saulsbury, Distinguished
  #                              Engineer, Systems Group
  # 02:45 - 03:30 pm | Zones update - David Comay, Senior Staff Engineer,
  #                              Solaris Software
  # 03:30 - 04:00 pm | Xen update - David Comay, Senior Staff Engineer,
  #                              Solaris Software
  # 04:00 - 05:00 pm | Solaris on AMD/Intel update - Ambreesh Khanna
  #
  # ** Lunch will be provided.
  #
  # TOPIC DESCRIPTIONS:
  # ==================
  #
  # OpenSolaris
  # -----------
  # It has been over a year since Solaris was open sourced. A lot has
  # happened with the community since. Simon Phipps will discuss the
  # business reasons for open sourcing Solaris, why its important to
  # you, and how you can join the community and make contributions to
  # the source base.
  #
  # Solaris Roadmap
  # ---------------
  # Ambreesh Khanna will discuss the Solaris 10 roadmap going out till
  # the end of CY07.
  #
  # Trusted Extensions
  # ------------------
  # TX will be released in Nov 2006 with Update 3 of Solaris 10, on
  # SPARC and AMD/x86. This brings the trusted features of Trusted
  # Solaris to "standard" Solaris 10. Glenn Faden has been associated
  # with Trusted Solaris for a long time, and will discuss what the
  # Trusted Extensions are, and how you can use them.
  #
  # LDOMs
  # -----
  # Logical Domains show up for SPARC in Nov 2006 with U3 of S10.
  # Ashely Saulsbury is the Chief Architect for LDOMs, he will explain
  # the technology and show a demo.
  #
  # Zones Update
  # ------------
  # David Comay, the lead for Zones, will discuss the upcoming feature
  # enhancements to Zones in U3.
  #
  # Xen Update
  # ----------
  # David Comay will provide a quick snapshot of where Sun is with Xen.
  #
  # Solaris on AMD/Intel Update
  # ---------------------------
  # The uptake for Solaris on the AMD and Intel platforms is
  # significantly higher than it has ever been. This is an interactive
  # session, where the audience will be asked to participate and talk
  # about their relative experiences.
  #
  # Please register for either the New York or Somerset locations:
  # http://sunsmart.sun.com/wma/
  # Event ID: techne
  # Password: sun
  #
  # Thank you, please join us!
  #
  # Wendy Brookstein
  # Marketing Manager, Area-Wide Events
  # - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  # Sun Microsystems, Inc.
  # 101 Park Avenue, 4th Floor
  # New York, NY 10178 US
  # - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    --------------------
 3. UNIGROUP INFORMATION
    --------------------

    Unigroup is one of the oldest and largest Unix User's Groups serving
    the Greater New York City Regional Area since the early 1980s.  Unigroup
    is a not-for-profit, vendor-neutral and member funded volunteer
    organization.  Unigroup holds regular and special event meetings
    throughout the year on technical topics relating to Unix and the Unix
    User Community.  Unigroup is/was also the Greater NYC Regional Area
    Affiliate of UniForum - an International Unix Users Group.

    Unigroup holds regular meetings planned for (at a minimum) the Third
    THURSDAY of Odd Months.  We generally try to hold Field Trip or
    Vendor Specific Meetings on the Even Months, although we do have the
    ability to hold monthly meetings at our new downtown meeting location.

    Planned regular meeting dates are: 11/9/2006, 1/18/2007...
    Watch for our Special Event meetings at the various trade shows in NYC
    as well as "Field Trips" to the facilities of local hardware and
    software vendors.

    = For Unigroup Information, Events and Meeting Announcements be sure to =
    = visit our World Wide Web Home Page:                                   =
    =       http://www.unigroup.org                                         =

    For further information or to get on the Unigroup Electronic Mail Mailing
    List send an EMail message to:
         unilist (-at-) unigroup.org

    To contact the Board of Directors of Unigroup, send an EMail message to:
         uniboard (-at-) unigroup.org

    If you have recently attended a meeting and you are not receiving
    Email announcements, please send us an Email and we will make
    corrections to our lists.

    Please Email the Board with any suggestions, especially potential
    meeting topics and speakers.  Unigroup welcomes contributions and
    content suggestions for our newsletter.  Unigroup is a volunteer
    organization and we need your assistance!  Please let us know if you
    can help!

 I hope to see you all at our next meeting!

 -Rob Weiner
  Unigroup Executive Director
  unilist (-at-) unigroup.org
  http://www.unigroup.org