Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?

From: kero552
Subject: Re: Can linux kernel claim it uses GPL v2?
Date: 7 Oct 2006 10:56:00 -0700

> > Can glibc work without linux kernel?
>
> See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/ports.html>.

All it says is that it can work with only GPLed kernels.
Well, on http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ports/?cvsroot=glibc
you can find ports to AIX or some others not GPL kernels.

Question: glibc was developed at first on what? Linux kernel? And if
so, then it was running only on one kernel with only one license, so
shouldnt it be GPLed at the time? Well it wouldnt have to if, as you
imply, was only implementing standard syscalls.

> >> That does not help in itself.  Creating an artificial API does not
> >> create an independent work abstraction as long as the library
> >> remains the only actual implementation of that API.
> >>
> > I tried to point it out during OpenGl example, probably wrong way.
> > There is an API (well documented) for library and there are two or
> > more libraries using the API. One is GPL licensed and the rest
> > not. The product doesnt have to be a GPL licensed.
> >
> > Personally I think this falls under "If identifiable sections of that
> > work are not derived from the Program,.." text from section 2, but
> > anyway:
> > True/False?
>
> Uh what?

I am giving parallel example to glibc working on different kernels with
different licenses.
Program can use one of different OpenGl implementation with different
licenses.

> > Actually what I said here few post back was that there is no technical
> > difference between calling syscall and library.
> > Function problem is same in both cases: glibc wont work w/o kernel and
> > program w/o library. You say the difference is that kernel is
> > implementing standard API (POSIX and SYSTEM V.. not really sure), while
> > library is using some API intended only for this library.
> > Correct?
>
> Depends on library in question, system call in question and other
> stuff.  If a system call is used for manipulating a Linux-specific
> in-kernel data structure, things might possibly be viewed differently.
> However, the kernel license NOTE would make it hard for Linus to press
> this in court without getting an estoppel defense.

Sorry, could you be more specific on "Depends on library in
question..."

Honza