Re: What DMCA stands for

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: What DMCA stands for
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:13:59 +0100

Qui, 2006-10-05 às 23:09 +0100, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra escreveu:
> Qui, 2006-10-05 às 20:04 +0200, Merijn de Weerd escreveu:
> > On 2006-10-05, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:
> > >    Censorship is about stopping original content being propagated, not
> > >    about stopping the propagation of material copyrighted by somebody
> > >    else.
> > >
> > > Copyrighted material is often original material,  DMCA/EUCD stop the
> > > propagation of this material, even if all users have this moral right;
> > > thus, censorship.
> >
> Rui
> > No. You are censored if you are not free to voice or propagate
> > your own opinion. Inflating this term to also mean the stopping
> > of copying of other works will only desensitize people to
> > real censorship.
>
> Why do people so often assume DMCA/EUCD is only about copying works?
>
> What does DMCA/EUCD really does beyond "copy"? Do you at least know?
>
> It prevent access to works...
> It forbids certain works since they prevent "access to works
> prevention" (TPM).
>
> This is CENSORSHIP. It's not desentivity to real censorship. This is
> actual and factual censorship (government action).

In case anyone doubts, I have here a "disc" that I can't play in any of
my devices. Why? Because it's been corrupted in order to prevent my
access to this work in a lawfull way, just because I could use that
access to distribute unlawful copies.

If I dare use a dark felt tip pen to circunvent this procedure, I'm
violating the EUCD. For all intents and purposes, the government is
censoring this article from me.

Rui