Re: Any estimates of illegal use of GPL / LGPL software ?

From: Erik de Castro Lopo
Subject: Re: Any estimates of illegal use of GPL / LGPL software ?
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:56:43 +1000

Geico Caveman wrote:

> Are there any guesstimates about illegal use of GPL'ed / LGPL'ed code by
> vendors of proprietary software (like using such code in a proprietary
> application that is released only as a binary) ?
>
> This can happen both with and without the vendor's knowledge / approval.
> Like deadline pressed programmers copying code wholesale, changing the
> appearance of the GUI sufficiently, etc.

I am the main author of two libraries, one GPL and one LGPL.

One three separate occasions I have received notifications from
people about my libraries being used in ways that was not allowed
licenses.

On each of these occasions, I sent email to the distributor of the
infringing software and in each case the distributor came into
compliance within a week.

At least for my two libraries, I do not believe that there currently
exists any software infringing on my copyright.

HTH,
Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo
"You don't have make it your sole purpose in life, but could you at
least sacrifice a rubber chicken upon the altar of literacy?"
 -- TackHead on Slashdot