Re: license question with non-GPL library

From: Merijn de Weerd
Subject: Re: license question with non-GPL library
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:01:22 +0200

On 2006-08-16, Scott <scott@nospam.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to ascertain my obligations with regards to a software
> project I am writing.  This project is to be licensed under the GPL, but
> it links to a non-GPL library.  This library is licensed under the 'new'
> BSD license, so it is compatible with the GPL.  However, my question is: do
> I need to distribute it's source-code with my application (i.e. is my
> application considered a 'derivative' work?)

Your application might be a derivative work of the library. It's
hard to say from the above. However, if the library is BSD-licensed,
it does not matter, as the BSD license imposes no requirements upon
derivative works (other than keeping notices and license texts
intact).

Distributors of GPL code are required to make available the full
source code of all modules, which would include the library. So
yes you should include the source code of the library with all
the other source.

Merijn

--
Remove +nospam to reply