Re: Is it possible to write GPL-Modules for closed-source Software?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is it possible to write GPL-Modules for closed-source Software?
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:08:19 +0200

> Stephan Kuhagen wrote:
> [...]
>> More important than that is, that at least some of my modules will
>> use other GPLed Libraries and Programs, so those modules have to be
>> GPL anyway.
>
> Linking is irrelevant. If your modules are not derivative works of
> "GPLed Libraries and Programs" (seek the advice of your own legal
> counsel re AFC test), then I suggest that you simply go ahead with
> the CPL or EPL;

Uh, you forgot that he liked the GPL and its provisions.

> if somebody dares to come after you claiming GPL violation (in court
> of law, not those empty threats and "opinions" the FSF is so fond
> of), you'll have a good chance to put the entire GPL code base into
> quasi public domain.

A chance that the legal departments of Microsoft, IBM and a few other
large players with deep pockets have happily passed on, and a
three-digit number of parties addressed by the GPL-violations project
alone did, too.

As usual, Alexander's advice is fit for lunatics.