Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: license issue: calling a GPLv2 library
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:01:46 +0100

Qua, 2006-06-21 às 03:41 -0700, Gottfried escreveu:
> Hello Rui,
>
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra schrieb:
>
> > Ter, 2006-06-20 às 00:25 -0700, Gottfried escreveu:
> > > I would like to offer LiMath_Optimierung as a shareware program i.e for
> > > some fee and without the source code. Please only discuss the license
> > > issue, don't tell me whether you like Windows or Bill Gates or
> > > something like that.
> >
> > Why are you in search of ways around the GPL?
> I do not principally search of ways around the GPL. I only want to
> clarify whether I am obligated in this special case to do so. At the
> moment I would like to leave my program documentation and the download
> archive as it is and avoid the aditional work to read and implement all
> legal formalities associated with GLPK.

Why worry about being obligated if you're not trying to find a way
around the GNU GPL?

> > I think that it's better to just release it under the GPL and still ask
> > the user for a donation if he likes the program.
> As far as I remember in the GPL text is stated that it is not a
> question of money but of the freedom of users to get the source code.
> First I would like to test whether there are at all users who are
> interested in the program or the source code. I don't wont provide all
> the overhead and then see that nobody is interested in. In some sense I
> insist on the freedom of the author to decide further proceeding.

Seems, to me, that you'll have a lot less hassles if you just release it
all under the GNU GPL and never have to worry about theses problems
anymore.

You know that it's always best to solve a problem in advance instead of
creating potential problems in the future, and I see that your reasoning
for circunventing is established over lots of IFs.

I strongly suggest you to remove those IFs by simplifying the process.
Either:
  a) develop your own set of libraries
  b) use another set of liraries that has a license you like better
  c) forget virtually all legal problems by making it Free Software
     released under the GNU GPL.

Hoping for c)... ;)

Rui