Re: Commercial code is better: Cedega VS Wine

From: Kelsey Bjarnason
Subject: Re: Commercial code is better: Cedega VS Wine
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 07:31:48 -0800

[snips]

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 03:36:59 +0000, billwg wrote:

> Commercial software has to work better or else customers will not pay
> for it.

Really.  Good.  Explain to me where I buy a copy of XP Home - you know,
the cheap one, but still commercial, hence, by your statement above,
better than any non-commercial option - that:

1) Lets me me part of a domain
2) Runs multiple simultaneous GUI users
3) Lets me do word processing, software development, video and audio
production
4) Let me fire up a web server capable of handling, oh, 500 domains and
assorted subdomains, for testing purposes
5) Comes with at least one non-toy DB server, to back the web server and
for other purposes
6) Supports secure remote shell connections
7) Has a remotely usable CLI environment, with advanced scripting
capabilities and a rich toolset for compression, archiving, encryption,
remote access and other such things
8) Lets me use it to serve up DB, mail, web, ssh or other connections to,
say, 1,000 simultaneous users
9) Bundles thousands of servers, applications, tools and utilities
10) Lets me install it, legally, on every PC I own or use

Hmm.  Debian's not commercial.  Debian offers me all of that, and a hell
of a lot more.  Explain to me how XP Home works better, since it *must* in
order for what you just said not to be complete and utter bullshit.

--
MS, because work should be measured by effort, rather than result.