Re: Intellectual Property II

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Intellectual Property II
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:07:26 +0000

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 16:52 +0100, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
>
> [... "monopoly" ...]
>
> William M. Landes and Richard Posner:
>
> -----
> A property right is a legally enforceable power to exclude others
> from using a resource, without need to contract with them. So if A
> owns a pasture, he can forbid others to graze their cattle on it

Yes, we all know that. But contrary to grass & cows, people can copy
digital content ad aeternum without loss of the source.

This fundamental difference establishes quite good boundaries.
Like why copyright isn't property.

In property, if I equally share a land with you, each of us has half a
land.

In idea expressions, if I share an idea with you, each of us has an
idea.

Its like the christian miracle of bread & fish.

Rui