Re: GPL and other licences

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:54:28 +0100

   > Are you really disputing the fact that one can combine non-free
   > work with a GPLed program?

   Yes.

Then you really ought to read the GPL.  Specially the clauses about
not being able to put restrictions on a user, i.e. making the software
non-free.

   Is software on my home system that I never distribute proprietary?

How should I know what license your software at home is licensed
under?

   If I combine two GPL licensed programs on my system, which I
   believe you would agree is allowed, does that allow everyone to
   copy, redistribute, etc?

If they hold a copy of the program, yes.

   Doesn't that suggest to you that maybe this paragraph is not
   germane to the discussion?

I have no idea what you mean by this.

   Why don't you quote me some language from the license?  Surely if
   the license does not allow me to do what I suggest there would be
   words in there to point to.

Why don't you _read_ the license?  Please, just do that instead, the
GPL isn't that hard to read.