Re: GPL and other licences

From: Isaac
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:41:54 -0600

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 02:52:15 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:
>    > This is not what you asked, you asked if you could combine
>    > non-free software with a GPLed work internally.  The GPL does not
>    > allow this, so you have no permissions to do so be it for your
>    > private use or not.
>
>    Cite me a provision of the GPL that does not allow this.
>    Preferrably support your answer with a quote of a sentence or two.
>
> Are you really disputing the fact that one can combine non-free work
> with a GPLed program?

Yes.

>    I'd like to incorporate GPL-covered software in my proprietary
>    system. Can I do this?
>
>           You cannot incorporate GPL-covered software in a proprietary
>           system. The goal of the GPL is to grant everyone the freedom to
>           copy, redistribute, understand, and modify a program. If you
>           could incorporate GPL-covered software into a non-free system,
>           it would have the effect of making the GPL-covered software
>           non-free too.

Is software on my home system that I never distribute proprietary?  If
I combine two GPL licensed programs on my system, which I believe you
would agree is allowed, does that allow everyone to copy, redistribute,
etc?   Doesn't that suggest to you that maybe this paragraph is not
germane to the discussion?

Why don't you quote me some language from the license?  Surely if the
license does not allow me to do what I suggest there would be words in
there to point to.

Isaac